Books are super-important and in my opinion, perhaps the greatest invention of all time. Through books, you can develop mental aptitude and sagacity. You can commune with some of the greatest minds and turbo-charge you life to success. Only if you read them of course. With these brilliant and motivating quotes about reading (see below), why won’t you?
If you’ve followed this blog for a short while, you’d know that an emphasis on reading and self development is one of the strategies through which we seek to project our community members on a path towards success (yeah, no kidding!).
Because of this, I thought it prudent to put together 33 of the absolute best quotes about reading. I hope this will incite a nouveau zeal for books in your personal life.
Why the quotes about reading?
Before we delve into the quotes however, what is all this fuss about reading about? I’d let the words of Charlie ‘tremendous’ Jones provide a riposte. ‘You will be the same person in five years as you are today except for the people you meet and the books you read’. See?
You can begin to see life from their vantage point and ‘stand on the shoulder of these giants’
Okay, okay, can we skip past my yattering and straight to the quotes? You asked and here they are – – 33 of the most motivational quotes about reading. Enjoy!
The reading quotes
1. ‘Books are a uniquely portable magic’. –Stephen King
2. ‘If we encounter a man of rare intellect, we should ask him what books he reads’. –Ralph Waldo Emerson
3. ‘It is what you read when you don’t have to that determines what you will be when you can’t help it’. –Oscar Wilde
4. ‘The more that you read, the more things you will know. The more that you learn, the more places you’ll go’. –Dr. Seuss
5. ‘A book is a device to ignite the imagination.’ –Alan Bennett
7. ‘Books are the quietest and most constant of friends; they are the most accessible and wisest of counsellors, and the most patient of teachers. ’ ― Charles William Eliot
8. ‘The reading of all good books is like a conversation with the finest minds of past centuries’. —Rene Descartes
9. ‘Reading is an active, imaginative act; it takes work’. —Khaled Hosseini
10. ‘To learn to read is to light a fire; every syllable that is spelled out is a spark’.—Victor Hugo
11. ‘I declare after all there is no enjoyment like reading! How much sooner one tires of any thing than of a book! — When I have a house of my own, I shall be miserable if I have not an excellent library’ ― Jane Austen, Pride and Prejudice
12. The greatest gift is a passion for reading. —Elizabeth Hardwick
13.‘Anyone who says they have only one life to live must not know how to read a book’. –Author Unknown
14. ‘Books are lighthouses erected in the great sea of time’. —E.P. Whipple
15. ‘A house without books is like a room without windows’. —Heinrich Mann
16. ‘Reading is important, because if you can read, you can learn anything about everything and everything about anything’. —Tomie dePaola
And more reading quotes
17. ‘It is books that are the key to the wide world; if you can’t do anything else, read all that you can’. —Jane Hamilton
18. ‘I would be most content if my children grew up to be the kind of people who think decorating consists mostly of building enough bookshelves’. —Anna Quindlen
19. ‘He that loves reading has everything within his reach’. —William Godwin
20. ‘Reading is to the mind what exercise is to the body’. —Joseph Addison
21. ‘A book is a dream you hold in your hands’. —Neil Gaiman
22. ‘Books open your mind, broaden your mind, and strengthen you as nothing else can. -William Feather
23. ‘Whenever you read a good book, somewhere in the world a door opens to allow in more light’.–Vera Nazarian
24. ‘A room without books is like a body without a soul’ –Cicero
25. ‘If we encounter a man of rare intellect, we should ask him what books he reads’. –Ralph Waldo Emerson
26. ‘Between the pages of a book is a wonderful place to be’. –Anonymous
27. ‘A capacity, and taste, for reading gives access to whatever has already been discovered by others’. —Abraham Lincoln
28. ‘Reading is an act of civilisation; it’s one of the greatest acts of civilisation because it takes the free raw material of the mind and builds castles of possibilities’. —Ben Okri
29. ‘There are worse crimes than burning books. One of them is not reading them’. –Joseph Brodsky
30. ‘A book is a dream that you hold in your hand’. –Neil Gaiman
31. ‘We lose ourselves in books. We find ourselves there too’. –Anonymous
32. “Books can be dangerous. The best ones should be labeled ‘This could change your life.’” –Helen Exley
33. ‘Once you learn to read, you will be forever free’. –Frederick Douglas.
Loved these quotes about reading a book? Can you think of any I excluded? Or, you wish to share one of yours? Please do so in the comment section!
#PS: Now that you’re here, can I tell you a little something about me? I am, in fact a FREELANCE WRITER. In other words, the guy who produces written content for webmasters looking to strike a better chord with their audience and customers. My name is Precious Marho, and you can learn more about my service here.